Thursday 18 May 2017

My Diabetic Burn Out

Diabetic mental health. That is something new for me to reflect on.

Here goes. I was diagnosed with Type 2 in 2005. I burnt out 4 years ago from my diabetes. I stopped watching my carbs. I stopped testing. I gained about 25-30 lbs. No one in my family was diabetic. Not my parents or their parents. Not my brothers. Not my husband or my kids. Just me. I felt very alone. And I felt very helpless.

Diabetes was starting to affect me in other ways now. I was unhappy. I didn't want to be diabetic anymore. It was unfair. I cried. I bitched. I worried. I didn't like how I looked. I only sporadically took my meds.

It took me about a year to figure out I couldn't continue to ignore it anymore. I knew my numbers sucked. I could see them in black and white. All the while my elderly parents ran into health issues and I had to forget about myself. I didn't have a choice. Oh I acknowledged my diabetes was a mess but the situation with my parents wasn't going to resolve quickly. I was not only worried about me, I was worried about them. I made several attempts to get back on track but to no avail.

The issues with my parents took some time to resolve but I couldn't use that as an excuse anymore. I had to deal with my health. And I am. I did a lot of reading about diabetes burnout. That helped. I got the medical end of things on track. I only have 11 lbs to lose to make my goal weight. I like the way I look. I feel good about me. I'm not denying I have diabetes anymore. I experimented with twitter DOC groups. That didn't go as well as I hoped so I took a break from it. I'll likely go back when I'm ready. I feel empowered again.

Now that I know about diabetes burnout, I will do my best to avoid it.

I'm not alone.

😊

2 comments:

  1. Aww, hugs to you! I'm glad you were able to find some resources to help.

    ReplyDelete

My New Opportunity!

I'm fairly new to blogging and really enjoy it. What's even better is blogging about something you are passionate about. For me, tha...